History: During the meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention in Richmond, Virginia, in May 1888, a group of women delegates from 12 states gathered and organized the Executive Committee of the Woman's Mission Societies, Auxiliary to Southern Baptist Convention. During the meeting, a constitution was adopted and the first officers were elected. Annie Armstrong was elected as the first corresponding secretary. In 1890 the women adopted the name Woman's Missionary Union, Auxiliary to Southern Baptist Convention. WMU was originally established as and remains an auxiliary to the Southern Baptist Convention, which means that it acts as a "helper" to the SBC. The auxiliary status also means that WMU is self-governing and self-supporting. In 1984, the national headquarters moved to New Hope Mountain on U.S. Highway 280, just outside the Birmingham city limits in Alabama. Since its beginning in 1888, WMU has become the largest Protestant missions organization for women in the world, with a membership of approximately 1 million. WMU's main purpose, unchanged since its founding, is to educate and involve adults, youth, children, and preschoolers in the cause of Christian missions.
WMU Women on Mission at Oak Bowery
Our Women on Mission group sponsors the church-wide mission offerings (Lottie Moon Christmas Offering and the Annie Armstrong Easter Offering). They also have many other on-going mission projects , volunteer and donate food for the Baptist Service Center North, collect school supplies for the underprivileged at Ohatchee Schools, and donate food and bottled water for World Changers. They meet the second Thursday Night (6:30pm) of each month and strongly encourage all ladies to attend and participate!